Abengoa Solar (USA)
Caldwell designed, fabricated, and field-erected 12 Molten Salt Thermal Energy Storage Tanks for this project, reaching 122 feet in diameter and stretching up to 50-feet tall. We constructed these tanks at the Solana Generation Station, the largest solar power plant in the world. We created storage tanks that can provide six hours of generation capacity to the grid, even after sunset or on cloudy days; all through storing thermal energy in the form of Molten Salt at over 750°.
The tanks include the following advantages:
- Internal pump out tanks
- Large bore sparger piping
- Air cooled foundations
- Alcoves in the roofs for pumping equipment
- Proprietary internal features
- Over 20,000,000 pounds of carbon steel
- 10,000 linear feet of pipe
- 60,000 linear feet of structural beams
Notably, Caldwell made the structural beams custom from carbon steel plate products.
Gila Bend, AZ
Tank Size & Style
15 Power Tanks: 12 Molten Storage Tanks and 3 Process Vessels.